Monday, January 02, 2006

Break

It is getting closer and closer to the end of the break... which also means it is getting closer and closer to the start of my last semester of college. It is so wierd that my college career is almost over. Soon I am going to have to really be an adult.

I have kept myself busy over break. I have worked on getting my college portfolio online... getting closer to putting it up. I have created a resume. I have also begun applying for my first real job. It is in the Westfield school district (just north of Carmel). It is not the district I have dreamed of working in. I really want to work in IPS because I love the inner city but Westfield is the only district with advertised openings right now.

Over Christmas my Uncle (who is not a Christian), told me that it was a mistake to want to work and live in the inner city. He told me that if I wanted to work there that would be fine but I need to live somewhere were I "won't wake up every morning wondering if my car is still there, or come back to my house at night not knowing if someone was inside or whether my things were going to be there. You don't need that type of stress." So I have thought about that a lot. How our priorities are so different that I think it is vital that I live there and I am willing to have that type of stress in my life. Because of him talking about keeping my things safe as a reason to live in the subarbs not in the city, I had to laugh Wednesday morning. You see Wednesday morning we discovered that my radio was stolen out of my car (which was parked in our driveway, on the "safe" side of town, with a security light right above it) sometime Tuesday night. It reminded me again that the feeling of safety that I have in the subarbs is really just that. It reminded me that "some trust in horses and some in chariots, but we boast only one defense the name of God the Lord most high". The radio being stolen was annoying but it really was a good reminder of what is really important.

Yesterday Pastor Keddie spoke in the morning on the parable of the sower. It was a really encouraging sermon. He talked about how it really is more a parable about the soil. It was Christ teaching his disciples about the different types of responses they will receive when they share Christ. Also because Christ is really the sower it is the responses that he received. The part that was really encouraging was the plant that grows up quickly but then falls away. Christ never said that that was the sowers fault it was just a statement of a possible response. I recognized some of the youth I have worked with in the inner city in that. It is discouraging to me to see a girl that I studied the Bible with and helped to disciple who was on fire for God choose and state that she was choosing to live in contradiction to what she knows the Bible teaches. It is difficult to see a boy who I have had worked with my entire time at the mission turn to a life of drugs and criminal activity. It makes me want to figure out what I and the rest of the people at the mission did wrong. If we did it right they would stay committed to the walk they claimed to have. So I just need to figure out what I did wrong. The truth is that is a possible response to the message. It is my responsibility to proclaim truth, some of that will fall on fruitful ground, some will not but I must proclaim.

Well I think that about sums up my break... Mary wants me to take her to Goodwill... so maybe I will do that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home