Thursday, March 23, 2006

God's Plan and the Desires of our Hearts

I have been thinking about God's plan a lot lately. I know this is because I will be graduating in just a few weeks and don't know what God has for me next in life. But it is also because so many things I have planned in life have been changed as God has worked on my heart.

This time last year I was planning on finding an inner city mission and joining it. Last summer I had found the mission that for which I thought God wanted me to work. It was an orginazation that I still believe has a lot of good practices, that begins churches and schools in inner cities, and I think does amazing things. Since I am going to be a teacher I fit right in.

Then came a fateful day in August where a certain pastor (guess who :) came and challenged me about my relationship with the visible church. He challenged me about the importance of the church and my independence in regards to the church. He said some things that made me start thinking about what the church was, what purpose Christ had for the church, and what my relationship to the church should be. As I came back to college last fall I still thought I would work for this mission, but I began to wonder. Through an email with Pastor K, he sent me an article on Christ's covenant and how that relates to the church. Reading that article began to change my perspective. I have always heard that joining the visible church is important, but no one had ever really explained why (or at least I hadn't heard it if they had).

That article put a cork screw in my life and I knew that my plans had to change because they were not alligning with God's plan. Anyone who has ever struggled with God's plan coming into conflict with the desires of their heart, especially desires that they thought were from God, knows how difficult that can be. However, it became clear to me that was happening.

I eventually gave up the idea of this mission I had found and began planning to move back to Indy, join southside, and hopefully finding a teaching job in the inner city there. Then I could move to the inner city and have some type of ministry in the community in which I taught. Mom was dreaming right along with me about all of this. She worked in the inner city some before kids and would like to get back involved so she really wanted to help with all this. So I got real excited about this possibility. Well soon I found out there were going to be budget cuts in the inner city school district there and they would be firing not hiring teachers this year.

It seems today that the door has been shut on my desire for inner city ministry at this point in my life. I know that God says if I trust Him, He will make my paths straight. As I look forward to graduation I don't have much idea of what that path is or where it leads, but I know that He knows! What I do know is God is calling me to join His visible church. I know that God will provide for all my needs beyond what I can think or imagine and that He knows each of those needs.

3 Comments:

At 3/27/2006 11:30:00 pm, Blogger Maria JoAnn said...

That is good that you know that God is in controll of what will happen. I have been thinking about that a lot latly because everyone here keeps telling us that we dont know what Gods plan is for our life. He might want us to be here for longer then 2 years, we never know. I love you Hannah!

 
At 3/31/2006 08:53:00 am, Blogger rayhe said...

is there an easy way to remove comments... I sure don't want that comment on... I am going to blogger to try, but if anyone sees that comment is still up let me know how I can get rid of it.

 
At 4/04/2006 02:48:00 am, Blogger Charity said...

It's so good to know that if we truly trust God, He WILL make our paths straight. I will be praying for you as you graduate soon, Hannah! Just don't go anywhere too far away from Indiana so I can see you when I get back. Err...that is if it is what God has planned for MY life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home