Saturday, February 04, 2006

lots of stuff...

Well I have been thinking a lot recently, which may be quite dangerous so I won't blame you if you duck.

This week was hip hop week in chapel. We had two speakers who have studied this culture come in and share with us things that it tells us about ourselves (christians). These two men are well known men in inner city ministry groups. They really made me think a lot. I have enjoyed rap music to some extent for awhile because I really think it is thought provoking. The people who write it really know they are looking for and can explain in human terms why they haven't found it. During chapel these men used the words of rappers to show problems in the church (that are quite real) and then addressed those problems with scriptural answers. Although I didn't agree with all the conclusions these men made I appreciated that they were willing to honestly look at a culture and seek to understand it. We as Christians are often quick to judge a culture as bad and therefore have nothing to do with it. But aren't we called to go and be witnesses in the dark places. There is a lot of trash in rap music but there is also a lot of true hurtful life experiences.
One of the most interesting songs we discussed was one in which the rapper states "curiosity killed the catechism" (all the lyrics to the song can be found here). This song really is an idictment on many ways that we minister. He knows that religion should be a lifestyle but what he is seeing isn't that. He knows that there is truth but all he sees is people memorizing catechism. Ministry in general and particuarly inner city ministry deserves many of the charges this man brings forth. This week just reminded me again of the importance of listening to culture as they discuss the church. There is truth in what unbelievers are saying about us. Instead of listening we are condeming them as evil.

Graduation is less than 100 days away (more like 90 now)... My roomate has a countdown calander and if it is correct 91 days. Since that is including the breaks we have left I probably have less than 80 days left to spend on this campus. It is really quite sad. I really can't imagine leaving here and never coming back. This place has been a refuge for me. It has been a safe place to grow and change. It has been the place that I have called home for the last few years. In a few short weeks my friends and I will be graduating and moving all over the country maybe even the world. It is times like this that I wish I had a button that I could slow down time with. But I know life keeps going and God has an amazing place planned for me and I am excited about that!

I wish I knew where I was going to get a job next year. My roomates mom works for a school district between Peru and Kokomo Indiana (near where the CYA conference is) and she told me last night there is a 3rd grade position opening up there. As my roomate and I talked about it I again realized how much I want to live in Indianapolis. During the conversation I realized that most likely I could at least get an assistant teaching position in the fall. If I got an in like that hopefully by Christmas a head teacher position would open up that I could take.

My new favorite verse is Col. 3:3 For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

Well I have lots of children's books to read for my children's lit class, so I will leave you with that!

1 Comments:

At 2/13/2006 04:57:00 am, Blogger Tamara Rose said...

well hannah to answer your qusetion no i didn't leave all my school "up there" (lol becuase we are "down under" you are "up there" lol haha get it ;)) i was a good and brought it all... Except some of it, That "some of ii" I kinda droped in the trash can..oops ;)

Well yeah of cores i meant every one but you! Well If you were wondering i didn't actually look at your blog... heh sorry its kinda long and i kinda don't have time to read it. but i will some time.

Love you,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home